The One Page Novel
A single page
Create a single-page plot that goes to the heart of your story
A simple structure
Learn the archetypal story that has enchanted readers for centuries
A fast strategy
Fill-in-the-blanks templates so you can write even when you feel stuck
With The One Page Novel Course, you can learn how to:
- Rekindle your love of storytelling – use the one page layout to surprise yourself with story ideas you never knew were in you.
- Quickly create a synopsis that will keep you on track as you write.
- Fast-track your writing career – create the core plot for your next novel in under 2 hours.
- Resurrect, troubleshoot and revise your stagnant or abandoned stories, so you don’t waste the hard work you’ve already put in.
- Easily discover the missing soul of your story, and drastically reduce your revision time.
- LOVE the plotting process & always know what to write next.
What makes The One Page Novel different?
- The One Page Novel is a series of brainstorming, plotting, outlining and editing techniques all rolled into one.
- I created it after YEARS of struggling to finish stories that I had started and abandoned, or rewritten to death.
- It helps you simplify your story so you can get a bird’s eye view of what’s important and what needs to happen when.
- I now use it to plan everything I write (from my steampunk novella series to my blog posts, my short stories, and even my life experiences)!
- The One Page Novel Course helps you adapt the techniques to your own needs so that you can create a system that works for YOU, and become a more efficient idea generator, planner, writer and finisher of things.
MODULE 1: PREPARATION & BRAINSTORMING
FORMATS: Video, audio, PDF transcripts
The course begins with a quick-fire brainstorming session so you can generate a main character, a synopsis, and lots of plot fodder in under 30 minutes.
- The First Quadrant: Lists
- The Second Quadrant: Synopsis
- The Third Quadrant: Reasons & Motivation
- The Fourth Quadrant: Thinking Space
MODULE 2: PLOTTING
FORMATS: Video, audio, PDF transcripts
Plot along with the lesson. Fill in the blanks in the example scenes, or invent your own.
Listen to the audio recordings at the café, on the beach, or on your daily commute.
- The Resolution
- The Stasis
- The Shift
- The Trigger
- The Quest
- The Power
- The Bolt
- The Defeat
MODULE 3: Outlining
FORMAT: PDF textbook
- How to turn your plot points into full scene summaries (so you know how to write a scene, as well as what happens in it)
- How to plot internal vs. external change, and how to play one off the other so that you can create a balanced story
- How to expand your general outline to include more and more scenes with greater detail (so you don’t run out of things to write)
- How to account for multiple main characters in your plot
- How to add, extract, and interweave subplots into the main plot (so you can add depth to your characters and your story)
- How to create a character from your outline, and avoid unnecessary character development
- How to create a world from your outline, and avoid unnecessary worldbuilding
- How to create a timeline from your outline, and avoid plot holes and pacing problems
MODULE 4: Form & Genre
FORMAT: PDF textbook
- How to adapt The One Page Novel to short stories, novellas and series.
- How to adapt The One Page Novel to the romance, thriller, mystery and life-writing genres
MODULE 5: Writing
FORMAT: PDF textbook
- How to use internal and external motivators to guarantee you finish writing your novel
- The most common plot problems and how to fix them as you write (so that you don’t get stuck in an infinite rewrite loop)
MODULE 6: Editing
FORMAT: PDF textbook
The One Page Novel’s 8-stage structure is an indispensable tool when you’re struggling with editing and rewriting.
- 5 quick editing fixes based on the 8 stages
- How to use your outline to create an editing checklist that supports you through the editing process
- Broken plots and how to fix them without giving in to despair
- Broken characters and how to fix them without completely breaking your plot
- The #1 simple trick I use for solving problems that will allow you to overcome blocks and come up with answers that work
Registration is closing in…
If you’re ready to start learning, click the button below to enrol…
You’ll also have instant access to these bonuses, designed to support you every step of the way…
Bonus #1: Genre Cheatsheet Pack
Fill-in-the-blanks scene templates for romance, fantasy, thriller, and mystery plots or subplots.
These cheatsheets are my absolute favourites! They’re the best supplement to the example scenes provided in the main course.
Whether you’re writing in one of these 4 major genres, or you just need scene ideas for love, mystery, or action-based subplots, you’ll love this cheatsheet pack.
Print them out, file them in your ‘Writing’ binder, pick and choose your scenes and fill in the blanks. Enjoy!
Bonus #2: Random Plot Generator
A random plot generator that fills in all of the blanks for you… at the click of a button!
If you’re feeling uninspired, the Random Plot Generator can generate your First Quadrant lists and use them to populate the Synopsis, and the example scenes for all 8 stages.
All you have to do is copy + paste. Then start writing!
The generator works in any browser (desktop or mobile), and you can even download it to use offline.
Bonus #3: Advanced Lesson Archive
A growing archive of advanced training on brainstorming, plotting, outlining, writing and editing.
- The Holographic Approach – plot outwards from any stage;
- Aide Memoire – easily remember the names and functions of the 8 stages;
- Using Tarot Cards for Inspiration;
- Using the Hero’s Journey;
- & more…
Bonus #4: Master Scrivener Template
A beautiful Scrivener template that will get you set up & eager to write, instantly.
This master Scrivener template comes ready-loaded with all example scenes, stage summaries, and plotting help.
Colour-coded document templates, and automatic collections are all set up to speed up your workflow, and there are also 40 custom icons that you can use to organise your binder across all of your projects.
Bonus #5: Lifetime Membership to The Lady Writers League
For a limited time only! Become a Lady Writer… forever. Life-time access to the course, as well to the Lady Writers League library, community, and member benefits.
As a member of the Lady Writers League you will have access to:
Enrol now before registration closes
Enrolment is ending soon…
Who is the course for?
The One Page Novel Course is for you if…
- You’re a beginner writer who’s been searching for comprehensive guidance on plotting, outlining and story structure. The One Page Novel is unique in the techniques it teaches, and as far as I know, there are currently no other online courses that go into as much detail on plotting and outlining. However, if you know of any, please let me know!
- You’re a seasoned writer on a tight deadline. This course condenses thousands of hours of reading and research into a step-by-step system.
- You’re ready to invest in yourself and in your education. I’ve personally spent (and continue to spend) thousands of dollars on university courses, online courses, books, and coaching, because I believe that I need to focus on growing my own skills and resources before I can help others.
- You’re willing to put in the time and work required to master your craft. Although I truly believe that The One Page Novel method can improve your writing life, there is no substitute for putting in the hours and doing your job. I know you know that already.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the technical requirements?
The Lady Writers League is an online community. If you can view this page, you should have no trouble accessing your course content.
All videos are high quality and stream directly from the web (using HTML5). Audio files are in MP3 format and will play on all modern mobile devices. The textbook and any supplementary text-based material is in PDF format, which can be viewed with any PDF-reading software such as Preview on Mac and Adobe Reader on Windows.
When does the course start?
You can access the course as soon as you complete enrolment. Just log in with the username and password you chose, and start learning.
How long do I have access to the course?
Access to the course is for life. You can view all of the lessons as soon as you enrol, in any order.
I’m writing ____ genre; will this work for me?
In my (humble) opinion, the 8 stage structure can add depth to any story with a plot or subplots that rely on character change. You’ll find example scenes for romance, thriller, mystery and fantasy novels in the Genre Cheatsheet Pack, and further guidance in the ‘Genre’ section of the Textbook.
I’m a pantser; will this work for me?
If you’re a pantser who finishes stories, then you probably don’t need The One Page Novel Course. However, if you really want to share your stories with the world, but you somehow never manage to finish and polish those stories, then it might be time to rethink your strategy. Perhaps you can use a rough plot outline without losing any of the joy of discovery…? Perhaps the time you need the outline is after you finish your first draft…?
What if this doesn’t work for me?
No worries! Contact me within 30 days and I’ll issue you a full refund.
After you click the ‘ENROL NOW’ button, you will be taken to a page where you can choose your username and password. Then you will be forwarded to Paypal to complete payment. You can then login to the site and begin working through the course right away, at whatever pace, and in whatever order you like.
About your tutor, Eva Deverell
I founded the Lady Writers League because I thought the world needed more quick, quirky, quality (and perhaps slightly quixotic) writing courses. I studied Creative Writing at graduate and post-graduate level, and I now run a popular writing blog (eadeverell.com), and correspond with hundreds of writers around the world.
I’m an itinerant typist, a secret sonneteer, a many-time NaNoWriMo rebel, and a proponent of making a loving living. I’m currently working on a steampunk series, and several Regency-era short stories.
The more I study the 8-stage structure, the more I recognise the same process at work in my own life. Whenever I struggle with making a change, whether it’s being more disciplined about my studies, or eating healthier, I always ask myself the same questions as I do my characters:
- What’s my desired Resolution state?
- What’s my Stasis state?
- What’s the Shift that I need to make?
I firmly believe that writing can make us better people. I hope you agree.